Hello, my name is Jenny and I recently accepted a Director of Civic Engagement position at a community college. My responsibilities include community service events, civic activities and involvement, getting a service learning program off the ground, and diversity programming. This is my first "grown up" job since finishing grad school and the position is a newly created job at my institution. I have experience with service learning and volunteerism as an undergrad, but now the tables have turned! Add all of this to the fact that I was previously unfamiliar with the community college atmosphere AND the actual physical community in which my college is located--needless to say, I have a lot on my plate! I am coming to IMPACT hoping to be inspired and looking for new ideas for my programs. I hope that many of the ideas will be adaptable to the community college. Most of all, I just want to learn! I suppose you could call me a sponge.
I am also looking forward to visiting Boston and I can't wait to see what activities are in store. I've never traveled further north than Indianapolis! I can't wait to eat some authentic clam chowder. :)
I hope to meet other young campus administrators from across the nation, but I fully expect to be inspired by the passion of the students I anticipate meeting at IMPACT. See you soon!
-Jenny, Director of Civic Engagement, Ivy Tech Community College Sellersburg, IN
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jenny -- I hope we get to meet at the conference -- though I'm only a sophomore, I see myself doing something with civic engagement and service-learning in higher education sometime in my future -- since your position is new, it must be really exciting to have the chance to build things from the ground up -- have a safe trip!
Post a Comment