Thursday, March 6, 2008

Josh - Couldn't Be a Better Time

The IMPACT conference is set to be a tremendous event thanks to the tireless work of the organizing committee (thanks y'all!). For the work I am doing, this event couldn't come at a better time.

I am a community organizer for Free Press - a national organization focused on giving people across the country a voice in the media debates that shape everything we see, read, and hear. I work on our Stop Big Media campaign and our Save the Internet campaign.

This is a moment of truth for American media - everywhere we turn big companies are trying to push the public out of the picture, off the airwaves, or trying to disrupt the free flow of information online. But at the same time - students and citizens across the country are stepping up in huge numbers and are making an impact in their communities and in Washington DC.

I just got off the phone with some students in Chicago who filed comments with the FCC about the future of the Internet. Last week I was in Boston with students who were organizing against Comcast's blocking of the internet. Last year Seattle students turned out in huge numbers to demand more local independent and diverse media.

I look forward to hearing about what is happening on your campuses and discussing ways to fight for a media that really represents all people, addresses our issues, and serves the public.

Josh Stearns - Free Press/StopBigMedia/SaveTheInternet

No comments: