It has been a little over two months since the conference now and I have to say that it was a wonderful and very memorable experience. It had been my first time at a conference, and it was better than anything I had expected. The energy, the enthusiasm, and the passion for advocacy and social action swept me away.
I had been anticipating the conference for weeks prior, but as the weekend came closer, I have to admit that I was not the most thrilled to be there. I was bogged down with homework and tests that upcoming week, and I was missing out on plans with my friends. This all changed as soon as I walked in on Friday morning for registration, though. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but the energy and the liveliness of the room excited me as well.
Overall, the conference was a great experience. I learned so much from listening to the speakers, meeting new people, and exchanging ideas with them. The passion that everyone had for social advocacy seemed to shine through their eyes and the passion and excitement was practically contagious.
Amongst all of the great activities and events at the conference, one of the highlights for me was the workshop that our team led. Our team is an undergraduate research team studying voter turnout on our campus at the University of Maryland, College Park. Our round-table style discussion at the workshop led to good conversations about what has been done on different campuses to mobilize students to register and to vote. After reading about different tactics in papers and articles, it was more personal and relatable when I could hear about it directly from the students and administrators from different schools. I definitely learned a lot about various events and tactics that were used, and I hope the others at the workshop and at the conference enjoyed it as much as I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment